Saturday 6 February 2016

Questions and Answers #1

Q: Hi,

I would definitely like to apply to CompSci but I'll be doing that next year. I also wanted to get into Software Engineering at Waterloo but I've heard that insanely hard to get into. I just had a couple questions about the program though.

What average did you have to get accepted? Where did you get compsci experience? Is it easy to find a co op placements in places such as Google, Amazon etc?

Thanks

A: Yeah, getting into Software Engineering will be much harder since the class size itself is much smaller than Computer science I believe. My average was about low to mid 90's. Personally, I didn't start programming until grade 10 and from there, most of the stuff I have done have been for academic purposes, so assignments and projects. I have done some small size side projects just to try stuff out. A lot of what I learned was mostly self taught since my computer science classes in high school were extremely slow so I would never be prepared for any contests had I just went and rode along with the curriculum.

I also applied to software engineering. I personally don't want to have long hours every day in lectures, labs, and tutorials. Also, I don't really want to take chemistry and don't know how it relates to programming.

Co-op placements can be hard or easy. It really depends on your personal skills, your experience, your application, and how you sell yourself. Getting a job at one of the big tech companies is everyone's dream. Who wouldn't want to experience life at Google or Amazon or Facebook? The last posting for co-op jobs had over 300, close to 400 I believe, applicants fighting over 10 positions at Google's various campuses, so there is competition and it won't be easy to be one of those 10 chosen students.
University of Waterloo Blog
Home

No comments:

Post a Comment